Daejeon James

My Photo
Name:
Location: Daejeon, South Korea

No bullshit: I'll tell you how it all goes down, every grimey detail!!! Archives at the Bottom.

Monday, March 26, 2007

A Day on the Town

My roomate and I went on the Daejeon City Tour Bus this Sunday. For 2,000 won ($2.00) we were promised a 4 hour drop and stop ride on the bus. BUT the bus smelled of homeless men...because there were two of them...one of whom was dressed to the nines in army attire. This guy kept punching me and touching my chin in the currency museum. I gave him alloted him three strikes...he's lucky he forfeited after the second.

Here's a no parking sign (pronounced--choo cheung cha geum chee)

Colin tolerating the rank of B.O.
The currency museum was boring for the most part but some interesting things like this ancient "knife currency" intrigued me.

"How much for that bag of rice good sir?"

"6 knives per kilo"

"Shinan hacheoyaseo Balgool doeen Chong gook Dong cheonkoo leomee"

Translated to English through my elementary skills--Chinese bronze coins used for merchant trading. Notice they're threaded through a rope for easy carrying capacity.
Therefore--the coins in this era had holes through them. They would be counted and roped. Each set of rope would be a certain amount.

Here's my entry for the "Signs of Spring" March photo addition. I thouhgt about the flower one at the bottom of this post...but I figured that was too cliche. Although teenage love may also be as well. I call this one "Waiting for the bus with my girlfriend"

SEcond stop on the tour was the Science museum at Expo Park.

Korea and China and Japan land locked together millions...maybe billions of years ago...
Japan starting to break away.
Today.


It was actually a sunny day. It looks cloudy because this time of year is when the "Yellow Dust" hits the Korean peninsula. The winds pick up sand and dust from the Chinese Gobi Desert and scatter Korea with a muddy haze. Many people at this time wear masks.
A very windy day.
At the science museum they had robots made for the different signs of the zodiac. Here's my sign. The year of the robot dog.


Colin and I quit the tour after the science museum because we couldn't stand another trip on the B.O. bus and to be honest the tour was pretty weak. But for $2 what could we expect. It was better than sittingin the apartment all afternoon.
PEACE

5 Comments:

At 11:32 PM, Blogger Evie Sears said...

I guess sometimes you get what you pay for. As you said, though, it was probably better than wasting a nice day sitting indoor.s

 
At 5:24 AM, Blogger Jenn said...

what if they aren't boyfriend/girlfriend? what if they are brother/sister?

 
At 8:40 AM, Blogger HeRoLeSsGaL said...

the place looks so interesting but I cannot stand anyone touching me. I'd freak out. lol but I'm glad you survived the busride of horrific smells.

 
At 3:42 AM, Blogger Wanda said...

These days in Calgary the C-Train is pretty much the same way. Most homeless people have no where to go especially lately with the snow and cold, so they ride the trains to keep warm. Most leave their bodily fluids smells around for the rest of us to enjoy at 6am....I don't enjoy that but it's sad they have no where to go!

 
At 12:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi I am a korean girl. I am 30years old. I live in Daejeon. My email address is csch7i@hotmail.com
have a great day!
chusuk

 

Post a Comment

<< Home